- 6:30 p.m.
- 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month
- City Hall
8650 California Avenue
South Gate, CA 90280
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are prepared prior to each meeting, minutes are available following approval.
Each of the 5 City Council Members are elected at-large to serve staggered 4-year terms of office. Meet your City Council Members:
- Mayor Maria Davila
- Vice Mayor Maria Belen Bernal
- Council Member Denise Diaz
- Council Member Jorge Morales
- Council Member Al Rios
Each year the 5 City Council Members select a presiding officer to serve as Mayor. In addition, City Council Members serve as the chair members for the City Manager as to the current and future direction of the city.
Fiscal Year Priorities
Each fiscal year, the City Council sets strategic goals. For Fiscal Year 2016-17, the council prioritized:
- Improve communications and civic engagement
- Continue refining the 5-year budget forecast, adopting a responsible budget and funding reserves
- Encourage economic development and workforce development
- Continue creating and protecting strong and sustainable neighborhoods
- Continue infrastructure improvements
- Maintain community-based police services
During the Fiscal Year 2016-17 budget meetings, the City Council approved the City's first Legislative Platform. The Legislative Platform is a summary of locally approved policy statements that provide a framework for the City's response to federal, state and regional legislation.
Nearly each meeting, the City Council honors residents and community members for numerous accomplishments. If you know someone who deserves to be recognized please contact the City Council Office.