Mayor Maria Davila
Council ExperienceMaria Davila was first elected to the South Gate City Council on January 28, 2003, and was re-elected for 4-year terms in 2003, 2007, 2011, 2015 and 2020. On April 11, 2017, Council Member Davila was selected to serve as Mayor for a 1-year term. Council Member Davila has also served as Mayor in 2006, 2011 and 2020. As a member of the City Council, she shares responsibilities with the City Council to set policies and goals for the community.
Mayor Davila was born in Michoacán, Mexico and immigrated to the United States when she was a child. She attended Bell Graham Elementary School, South Gate Junior High School, South Gate High School and graduated from Gary High School in Pomona. Council Member Davila married and returned to South Gate where she has resided for the past 35 years. She is a proud mother of 4 children, all of whom attended Los Angeles Unified School District schools in South Gate.
Council Member Davila takes special interest as a mother and Council Member in the betterment of the lives of children by shepherding the development and maintenance of South Gate educational and recreational programs for all in the community.
Mayor Davila's involvement in her children's education was very important to her and fueled her drive and commitment to improving the education systems in South Gate. She was a member of the School Site Council, Title 1, Bilingual Committee, a Magnet Representative, and a Healthy Start Parent Representative for San Miguel Avenue Elementary School. Mayor Davila has been a parent volunteer since 1994, volunteers in her children's former schools and continues to serve as a member of the South Gate Middle School PTA. She also participates in various community events and organizations.
Mayor Davila was employed with Human Services Association for 6 years where she worked as a Medi-Cal Outreach worker, Medi-Cal Outreach Coordinator, and as the Medi-Cal Outreach Ombudsman for 1 year.
Committees & Boards Served
Mayor Davila serves on the following Committees and Boards:
- Southeast Cities School Coalition, Chair origin to present
- Padres Unidos Por-Nuevas Escuelas, 1999 to present
- South Gate Multi-Cultural Women's Club since 1998 to present, President 2012-14 & 2016-present
- District 6 Parent Community Advisory Council, 2-year term
- Student Attendance Review Board, 2003 to 2016
- PTA Pacific Council, President 2005-2006
- Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control Board of Directors, 2004 - 2017
- Southeast Water Coalition, 2008 to present, Chairperson 2014, 2-year term
- ECO-Rapid Transportation (OLDA) Joint Powers since 2004 - present, Vice Chairperson, Chair 2015-17
- School Safety Collaborative, 2004 to present
- Hub Cities Consortium, 2008 to 2016
- Gateway Cities Council of Governments, 2005 to present
- Independent Cities Association (ICA), 2005 to present
Awards & Honors
- 2006 Woman of the Year, former Senator Martha Escutia
- 2006 Bringing the Pasitos Program to South Gate Families, Human Services Association
- 2008 Spirit of Service Award, Human Services Association
- 2008 Dulcinea Award, Embracing Latinas Leadership Alliance (ELLA)
- 2013 Supporter of programs award, South Gate Police Officers Association
- Leadership and dedication award, former LAUSD Board Member David Tokofsky
Council Member Davila was awarded plaques for her dedicated support to the students, faculty and parents at South Gate Middle School, San Gabriel Avenue School and Southeast High School.
Shopping Center Success
Mayor Davila takes pride in being part of the instrumental success of the azalea Regional Shopping Center development - the 1st major development to be built in the region following the recession, and features the largest outdoor installation of “Living Walls.” The shopping center has generated over 1,000 new jobs and features the largest concentration of new nation brand restaurants in the city.
Hobbies and Interests
When Mayor Davila is not busy with Council related work or volunteering, she enjoys spending time with her husband and children, playing with her dog, shopping, going to the movies and reading.