The City of South Gate is working closely with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (DPH) to monitor the novel coronavirus. Novel coronavirus (2019 nCoV) is a new, viral disease that produces symptoms similar to the flu or pneumonia. As of March 31, 2020, DPH reported 25 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in South Gate. DPH is investigating the case and will notify close contacts to assess and monitor them for signs and symptoms of illness. It is critically important that everyone adheres to all the social distancing measures and practice good public health hygiene, including washing hands as frequently as possible.
COVID-19 Senior Call Center - (323) 563-9525
The City of South Gate is here for seniors to answer your questions regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, and connect you to available resources such as food pantries, mental health services and more. The Call Center at (323) 563-9525 operates daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
If you develop symptoms of COVID-19 including fever, cough or shortness of breath, and believe you have been exposed to coronavirus, call your primary physician first since they know your medical history. If you don’t have one, you can call AltaMed at (888) 499-9303 for evaluation, especially if you have other health conditions. It is important to call ahead before coming into the AltaMed clinic, so that staff can prepare and avoid putting you and others at risk. If you develop severe symptoms such as severe shortness of breath that require immediate medical evaluation, call 911 or visit your nearest emergency room.
8627 Atlantic Avenue, South Gate, CA 90280 - Patients must call (888) 499-9303 before visiting any center.
The California State Public Health Officer and Director of the California Department of Public Health is ordering all individuals living in the State of California to stay home or at their place of residence, except as needed to maintain continuity of operation of the federal critical infrastructure sectors.
- Safer At Home Order by the Los Angeles County of Public Health
- Executive Order by the State of California here (pdf).
Report a non-essential business operating
You may also call the City’s Community Development Department to report the violation at (323) 563-9549.
Report prohibited gatherings of 10 people or more
South Gate Police Dispatch
Report Price Gouging
(800) 593-8222 or file an online complaint
- City Hall Closed until Further Notice
- State of California benefits for workers impacted by COVID-19
- Los Angeles Unified Opens 60 Grab & Go Food Centers for students
- Notice of events and recreation class cancellations and Park facility closures_English
- Notificacion de cancelacion de eventos, clases de recreación y cierres_Spanish
- Loans available to small businesses and non-profits that have been severely impacted by the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Suspension of Utility Service Disconnections
- Parking Enforcement Update
- Executive Order to Restrict Eviction of Commercial and Residential Tenants
- Proclamation Declaring the Existence of a Local Emergency
- South Gate’s Water Quality Remains Unaffected by COVID-19
New Statewide Guidance
- Governor Newsom Announces California Health Corps, a Major Initiative to Expand Health Care Workforce to Fight COVID-19
- Governor Newsom Signs Executive Order Providing Relief to CA Small Businesses
- Governor Newsom Announces Major Financial Relief Package: 90-Day Mortgage Payment Relief During COVID-19 Crisis
- Governor Newsom Signs Executive Order to Allow Timely Delivery of Vital Goods During COVID-19 Outbreak
- California Releases New COVID-19 Guidance for K-12 Schools
- Governor Newsom Places National Guard Personnel on Alert to Support COVID-19 Community Readiness
- Governor Newsom Signs Emergency Legislation to Fight COVID-19
- California Requests Federal Government Waiver to Cover Medi-Cal Recipients and Expand Tele-Health Options
- March 16, 2020 - LA County Public Health issued an order to prohibit all indoor and outdoor, public and private events and gatherings within a confined space, where 50 or more members of the public are expected to attend at the same time, to require social distancing measures and temporary closure of certain businesses. This Order will remain in effect at least through March 31, 2020.The press release can be found here.
- March 15, 2020 - Governor Newsom issued the following guidance/recommendations:
- Home isolation for all seniors in state of California 65 and older and those with chronic conditions.
- Closure of all bars, nightclubs, wineries, brewpubs in the state until further notice.
- Reduction by one-half in the allowed current occupancy within restaurants and requirement for social distancing within these establishments.
- No visitations for hospitals and congregate living facilities (assisted living, nursing homes, etc.) except for end of life visitations.
- March 12, 2020 - Governor Gavin Newsom issued a new executive order further enhancing California’s ability to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- March 11, 2020 - Governor Gavin Newsom announced that California public health officials issued an updated policy on gatherings to protect public health and slow the spread of COVID-19. For more information, click here.
Latest News of COVID-19
- 4/1/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/31/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/30/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/29/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/28/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/27/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/26/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/25/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/24/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
- 3/23/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/22/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/21/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/20/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/19/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/17/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- 3/16/20 - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
Suspension of Utility Service Disconnections
To help families with financial hardship due to COVID-19, the City’s Water Division, SoCalGas and Southern California Edison are not suspending service or disconnecting customers who are unable to pay their bill until further notice. For more information, contact the service provider below:
City Water Division: (323) 563-9586
Southern California Edison: 1-800-655-4555
Frequently Asked Questions
- LA County Department of Public Health FAQs - English
- LA County Department of Public Health FAQs - Spanish
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Infectious Disease Preparedness for Homeless Assistance Providers
- What you need to know about handwashing Video
- COVID-19 Symptoms -English / Spanish
- Stop the Spread of Germs- English / Spanish
- Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Update on Closures at LA County Parks (March 16, 2020)
- The President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America
- LA County Library Closures and Updates
- Free access to Spectrum Wi-Fi for 60 Days for K-12 and college students.
- Free access to L’il Libros worksheets for kids.
- Free educational PBS daytime programming designated for each grade level.
- MIND Research Institute is offering no cost access to a free math instructional program for students in grades K-8. For more information, click here.
- Scholastic offers free, online learning experiences for kids of all ages. For more information, click here.
- For the closest food pantry/bank to you, visit: Los Angeles Food Bank Pantry Locator
- Everytable is offering meals to everyone. Food distribution for seniors who need food brought to their homes. Food available for students. Call for more information (323) 458 - 6487.
The Los Angeles Tenants Union is providing support around evictions. Find your local union here.
Seniors in South Gate, Lynwood, Compton & Watts who need food delivery, call Greater Emmanuel Temple at (424) 296.0400.
Mental Health: Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health, Access Center 24/7 Helpline (800) 854-7771.
Food Pantry, Southeast Churches Service Center, 2780 East Gage Avenue, Huntington Park, CA. 90255. Phone: (323) 585-8254.